Pages

... W E L C O M E   T O   P R A S A D ' s   W E B P A G E ...

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Linux and Me


There was a time in college where in these so called Linux-freaks use to argue with me about Linux saying Linux is so good, stable and powerful than windows, but I was a big fan of Microsoft, and for me Microsoft is like GOD, which gives you such a pretty OS with so minimal bugs! Whenever we write a small program we can see 100s of bugs and Imagine an OS, used by billions of people with millions of applications and so many just trying to hack and write viruses for them, after all that if windows is running with out problem 99% of the time then that’s really great.

The one who use to argue with me used to blame windows for crashing and all that viruses they are troubled with, but my explanation is just as simple as explained above and I stick to windows for so user friendly and so fast, compared to the time it takes to do the same thing on windows. It’s just not imagination, but have personally used Linux on my machine, The Red Hat one, pretty old version of Linux, and just cant do anything better with that which I can do in windows.

Time has passed and I am here in Samsung working on Real time operating systems, and the system software and architecture development. I never imagined this Linux will become so powerful and one day I have to make it work on our Samsung mobile just because people want Linux on their mobile too. I am studying the kernel internals of it and how it manages not to crash and the facilities it provide over windows. Now I am convinced that Linux is much prettier than it was as I imagined and started falling in love with it. And one day when you see Samsung phones with Linux running on it, don’t forget to remember me for my contribution. May be at some point your phone would be running the code I have written!

By the way this Ubuntu flavor of Linux for laptops looks cool, and planning to get it on my laptop and I am using it for my official work, running virtually on Windows Xp, because still most of the work is comfortable on windows even the page I am typing now!

5 comments:

Navin Shetty said...

prashy....i too tried ubuntu, i have config with my vista lappy...running smoothly...

ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್. ಎಲ್ said...

You got to get used to the OS to see how good it is for everything. You might be feeling safe (until you get the blue screen of death) because you have some one to help you with Windows but there is lot more freedom that you get on Linux. Anyways, welcome to the Linux club. You will surely find anything that you require for your laptop running on Linux for FREE and with OpenSource.

Techfiz : http://platonic.techfiz.info

ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್. ಎಲ್ said...

You got to get used to the OS to see how good it is for everything. You might be feeling safe (until you get the blue screen of death) because you have some one to help you with Windows but there is lot more freedom that you get on Linux. Anyways, welcome to the Linux club.

Techfiz : http://platonic.techfiz.info

Prasad Shetty said...

@ Naveen,
Thanks, Ubuntu rocks !

@ Techfiz,
Thanks for for the support. Yes Windows is back boned by Microsoft. But Linux does not have one. It just depends on Open source community, but for a personal use, i think tats good enough.

ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್. ಎಲ್ said...

Prasad, Linux is being used at Enterprise level for years. Even before Windows Big companies used *Nix based distros :). here you have one more news. Have a look at it.

FOSS powered Indian Political Party -> http://platonic.techfiz.info/2008/10/23/foss-powered-indian-political-party/